The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Saturday December 28, 2002 at 01:32
sndtowne
Long Time Member
December 2002
I carry both Paradigm and B&W (and Klipsch). The Inside Track (dealer newsletter) surveys hundreds of dealers every year about many A/V products and ranks them in may parameters. Every year, dealers rank B&W and Paradigm number one and number two. Paradigm has won "best value" for thirteen years straight. No other speaker company has ever done that. But the most expensive speakers Paradigm makes are $1900/pr. ($2400/pr. in wood). Once you get over that price range, B&W ranks number one. In the $500/pr. to about $1200/pr. there is quite a bit of overlap between B&W and Paradigm.

No doubt Snell makes a great speaker. But they don't have any where near the appropriate assortment of speakers that B&W and Paradigm make. The publisher of the Inside Track newsletter made a trip to the U.K. a few months ago to tour the B&W factory(s) and wrote a four page story praising the company. She also pointed out that B&W has more PHD level research scientists on staff than any other consumer speaker company (over twenty I believe).

Also, SONY just purchased six B&W 802s to use in their mastering studio. I have a photo of Sony's vice president sitting at the console - and you know Sony could afford whatever they wanted.

I have been in the A/V industry for 34 years. Some years ago I thought B&W speakers were (not over priced, but very expensive). But now after listening to them for three years, there is nothing out there quite like them. Overall, B&W makes the best high end speakers. Paradigm makes the best moderate priced value - which is why I carry both brands.

As far as best marketing department goes - we all know that honor goes to Bose.

But - happily - neither B&W nor Paradigm has to depend on an overly agressive marketing department - once customers listen to them, their products sell themselves.

Neither company has ever put any pressure on me to sell their brand over others in my store. When dealing with a customer, after determining what price range he is in, and what type of speaker he wants (floor stander/book shelf/micro theater size) I allow the customer to audition every speaker in the store that matches his (stated) needs then let the customer make the decision. I don't really mind what brand a customer buys - as long as he buys from me.

Bruce

This message was edited by sndtowne on 12/28/02 01:44.08.

Hosting Services by ipHouse