Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Saturday February 22, 2003 at 20:05
lunartech
Lurking Member
February 2003
Eric,

You must stress the importance of labeling the wire during rough!
On the job I most recently finished not one of the over 300 total lines was labeled (I did not rough this one) so I spent almost 2 days tracking each one and labeling them myself. The client was there over my shoulder the entire time and asked me evey 15 minutes "What are you doing now?"

Pay attention to what the guy training you is saying and doing. If not you will surely get stumped on a binary problem that costs major time. If you dont understand, make your trainer clarify it.

I was hired independantly to correct a major botched job at a 2 million dollar home, one of the many problems they had was in the middle of the night the audio system would turn on and ramp to full blast and the lights outside would flash.
I did not remove the outlet boxes at the keypad locations to inspect the wiring behind for several days, finally, frustrated I ripped the box out at the front door and found a mutilated cat 5 that was beanied by the pair (blue and blu/white matched up and so on) and after pulling some of the insulation away I found that the same cat 5 was wrapped around the 14 gauge feeding the front porch light, right along with the line that was connected to the motion detector outside. I could feel it literally wrapped around the romex as far as I could reach my arm into the hole. After a very costly and ugly teardown of the wall, re-wired and re-connected the system stopped having problems in the middle of the night.
What was happening?
The motion detector sensed movement after dark and turned on the light which inducted into the audio control line and fired all kinds of signals from the Russound PR4Z.
Electrical induction is no myth.
I also learned later on that the company who installed the system lost their contract with that builder (not because of me, I tactfully refrained from being a tattle) who built about 15 of these types of homes every year.
How is that for making someone paranoid?

Hosting Services by ipHouse