The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Friday July 11, 2003 at 15:59
Larry Fine
Loyal Member
August 2001
Interesting problem pops up: the Niles unit requires 20 ma., but my pre/pro (B&K AVP-4090) is capable of only the same 15 ma. that Theaterworks mentioned.

To overcome this limitation, I used a relay with the lowest coil current I could find (11 ma.), which is a reed relay. Even then, it wasn't capable of the coil current of the contactor I wanted to use.

So, I did what any respectable engineer would do: use more parts; I cascaded relays. The reed relay controls a 5-amp relay, which in turn controls a 4-pole, 25-amp contactor, one for each of my switched circuits.

Just to mention them, they are 1) all the switched components and wall warts, 2) the stereo amp running my mains, 3) the 5-channel amp running the center/sides/rears, and 4) the two powered sub amps.

I used a small 'experimentor's PC board' to mount and wire the reed and 5-amp relays and placed the entire package inside a tough plactic pouch, and fit that and the contactor inside the 4-space/8-circuit sub-panel in my closet.

I mounted an RCA jack on the front of the sub-panel, mainly because the B&K trigger uses one, and wouldn't require a custom cable. A short RCA cable connects the pre/pro to the sub-panel.

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse