Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday November 10, 2003 at 08:27
avdude
Founding Member
February 2002
Fellas...I NEED YOUR ATTENTION!!! :-)

I am in this ongoing debate with a guy (an experianced and VERY knowledgeable former electrical engineer who has been in the custom A/V industry for 8 years now) about cables and wire.

Here's his stance in short (I know he'll read this and give his full theory, or maybe not!)

For audio...good cables are a waste of time and money...the $.59 bulk interconnects that come with the satellite receiver, are every bit as good as say, a $500.00 pair of Tara-Labs, Ixos, AudioQuest, or BetterCables very top of the line. When connected to EXACTLY the same gear, there will be NO audible improvement. He maintains it may sound DIFFERENT, but not better. A single piece of romex would therefore work as well here...

For speakers... He maintains that, with the exception of current flow, and the possibility of melting the conductor, a single strand of Cat 5e will make trasmit the same sound as the most expensive cast cable known to man....as long as you don't melt the cat-5, it would sound the same as the super expensive stuff....

For video...he asserts there would be a SMALL difference in picture quality, as better metals, in the correct ratios, will transmit different kinds of video better...but again, no enough to justify the cost difference...

I beleive just the opposite on everything. I base this on my experiences, and having observed the results, in several of my own tests in the day-to-day world.

Just curious now what do you guys think, and why?

avdude
site admin
www.integrationpros.com
AVDUDE
"It might work better if it were plugged in and programmed first...just a thought!"

Hosting Services by ipHouse