Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Monday February 16, 2004 at 06:59
deb1919
Founding Member
September 2001
deb1919...you just called an AWFUL lot of people
that value your input a lemming!

I was in a rotten lack-of-sleep mood to begin with last night. Had I been a little more together, I wouldn't have used those words, but would have said the same thing - don't always believe the hype. Just because something's being pushed as the "new great thing" doesn't mean it's great.

You should never tell a customer that wireless will work, because it may not, through no fault of yours. I've tried it 3 times in my career, and was never able to maintain a reliable connection. Maybe for a day or 2 at the longest, then it would fail & take the whole LAN with it. We as tech-heads can deal with that, since resetting the router & modem isn't hard. But our customers would rather not be bothered, even if they're capable.

My cordless phone is the only wireless thing I own that works consistently. My cell loses service & drops every other call. My walkie-talkies pick up workers from the next block. Even my garage door openers usually need 2 or 3 presses to work. Needless to say, I avoid wireless at all costs.

One good thing... if I stick a wireless card in my laptop & drive down Park Ave, I can aquire at least 20 connections. Even though it benefits me, it's still a flaw.

My apologies if anyone actually felt like a lemming.

Doug @ HomeWorks

Hosting Services by ipHouse