Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Friday February 20, 2004 at 08:40
Springs
May 2002
Wow that is some sort of quote. Too look at it I just have this as referance.

We don't carry Yamaha ot Kef but we have enough lines around here. If the company that spec'ed out that system is slashing prices like that.. do you want to compete? I mean gettin the job is one thing, but cutting off your entire margin just to get the labor, you would have to charge a ton for labor.

I don't work in sales for the company I am at. I have been in this industry for almost 9 years now. Infact I have more years in, then my boss and any of my coworkers. When my boss comes back pissed about some really undercutting bid I just remind him.

Don't bother with the other guys bid. Just give our bid based on reality and if the customer balks at it.. walk. Always be prepaired to walk away from a job. Don't renegotate your pricing based on what some trunk slammer offers. Just calmly inform the customer... we are sorry we won't be working with you on the project and that we wish you the best of luck. Keep it professional and move on to that 4 month back log we keep piling up.

Secrets I have figured out over my years.
1. Anything you give to a client must be paid for... this not only includes gear, but time, materials etc.
Charge a flat rate to come out and evaluate the job with the client and make sure it is clear that you will be paid for the visit. Collect this that day. NO EXCEPTIONS.

2 Have the client decide at the end of the evaluation wether they would like to continue with you. At this time make it clear that materials do have a cost.

3. If they are comfortable with you it is time to actually work up a bid.

4 Provide a very general explination of what you are offering and how much it will cost. DO NOT LINE ITEM THIS.

5. If the customer feels you are in the game... Provide them a detailed list of what you intend to use that has a dollar value at the end of the bid. THIS VALUE IS ALL INCOMPASSING. And it is time for one of two things.Be fair and firm on EXACTLY what they get and your total price.

6. Collect a payment for the time it took to assemble and work up the bid. This should have a fixed price. Remember the fact that you have just given the client intellectual property. They should pay for it.

7. Be fully prepaired for the fact that they are going to shop your property around town. You may never see these people again.

8. If they like the bid or are done trying to nickle and dime you... get a reasonable deposit that is a started check to procure materials and gear. The deposit should be in the same hand as a contract.

If they pay and sign... get the gear as quickly as you can and try to do the best job you can.

If it goes aray... make sure that you are paid for evaluation / design time. Explain that there are no hard feelings and that your quote is good for a set number of days. After wich the bid is null and void.

Many clients see the professionalism of this approach and are encouraged. As for the guy who says... "FREE QUOTES." Tell him. its good for what you pay for it.

If they really give you crap, calmly tell them that your company is a bussiness and that you believe in being fair with people. ASk them if they are being fair. If they don't like the way we handle things... there are other companies out there.

Ohh and the warranty thing... Don't bother with the mud slinging about authorized dealers. Tell the customer to just give the manufacture a call and check what the policy is for UA purcases. Also remind them you charge to service other peoples things.

This message was edited by Springs on 02/20/04 12:21.

Hosting Services by ipHouse