Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday March 3, 2004 at 10:00
dcci
Long Time Member
November 2003
Curious how others approach this situation:

1) New install, client is a DirecTV customer, so per my recommendation, we upgraded his dish to a triple LNB, and he went with the Samsung SIR160 HDTV DirecTV receiver (decent box, BTW - I had only used Zenith's SATHD520 until now).

2) Prior to purchasing any antenna for reception of OTA digital stations, I tested my trust Silver Sensor indoor antenna (it's a small, directional antenna). I hooked it up inside, directly to the antenna input on the SIR160. By inside, I mean in the cabinet, behind several walls, huge trees outside, etc. I was able to pull in 7 stations, including all our local network affiliates (this is the SF Bay Area).

3) Well, hell, I figured that since I could pull in 7 inside with multiple obstructions with a tiny indoor antenna, I'd be just fine w/just about anything outside on the roof, which has a completely unobstructed view towards the broadcasting towers in question.

4) WRONG! I tried to cut corners - I picked up a TERK 44 (the one that mounts on top of the dish), and got . . . ZERO stations!!!! I was stunned, although this was the 3rd time I'd been burned by the TERK 42/44.

5) Next try was the high-end Terk 55. Much better - now I got ONE OTA digital station !!!!!!

6) Finally got smart: bought a nasty, ungainly $35 clothes-line from RadioShack. Worked perfectly - 15 stations.

Yes, yes - I understand the diff in antenna designs - but really - should I be able to get 7 stations indoors w/a tiny antenna, but none outdoors, with no obstructions???

Love to hear how others approach the always-enjoyable antenna game for receiving OTA digital stations. Do you even try to use something small, or do you just always go for the same model, no matter how large, or ethetically unpleasing for the client's roof??

Hosting Services by ipHouse