The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Tuesday February 17, 2004 at 19:27
Impaqt
RC Moderator
October 2002
Cool and Afordable should really not be used in the same sentence with Crestron...(I'll give ya cool... I've never had a problem with Crestrons Cool Factor) These are the guys charging $2000 for a ProntoPro w/ RF Receiver.

Its no secret that Crestron is Outselling AMX right now... Expecialy on the Residential side.... This is a REALLY HORRIBLE analagy, but Bose Outsells almost all other speaker manufactuers combined.... DOesnt make them better.... AMX Had some major issues a few years back. The know that, and they have now righted the ship. Concentrating now on what made them the Number 1 Automation company to begin with.

As for your ST-1700 argument.... OK, I'l give you that if your comparing it to the standard Viewpoint.... However, the Viewpoint is significantly less expensive than the ST-1700..... Now... If you go into the Realm of 2-WAY - ST-1700CNX (I think thats the model now) The Crestron is Annialated. A MVP-7500 has a Retail of $3200, 7.5" Sreen, 12 bit color depth, and a 640x480 resolution..... And it communicated via 802.11b... So the gateway will run you $300 if you buy a really good one.

Not good enough? The 8400 adds 16Bit color, Active screen, A Mic and Speaker for $5k STILL in the ballbark with the Crestron when you add the price of their 2-way gateway.

As for the other things you mentions....

HVAC... YES definatly
Lighting: Yes Definatly, Radia RPM System and also Partnered with Lutron.

Multi-Room: Absolutely. 8x8 and 16x16 versions.

Amps: Sure....

Microphone Hub for Intercomming: Yup.....

Surround Processor??????? Um... No.......

The Major difference between Crestron and AMX when it comes to periferal componants is that amx acknowledges that they may not make the best of everything. The DO make the best touchsreens and control processors. so if a dealer wants to sell ADA, Extron, Autopatch, B&K, or any other Audio system, they play very nice... ANd even encourage it when the application arises.

I always enjoy a nice AMX/Crestron debate.......

I hope they[Crestron] do add Internet browsing to the next generation of panels...... Might get AMX to update the firmware on the Modero Panels to do the same.... We can already Control a Desktop PC through VNC and Pull Dynamic images off the Web with no problem... Adding a browser interface wouldnt be a major problem.
OK... Enough for now....

On 02/17/04 11:35, THXRick said...
Guys,
After being somewhat curious about the whole
AMX makes better touchpanel thing, I had to take
a look at them myself..If I insert my foot in
mouth please forgive me..I will agree that the
current AMX panels do look great..Of course I
refer to their Large panels. I also know that
Crestron has taken away a large share of the market
in recent years..So one would ask why? Does AMX
offer a surround processor,multi-room,t-stats,lighting,amplifiers,and
various other products? If the awnser is no..then
we know why Crestron is moving ahead..So if all
that Crestron has left is to make a cool, affordable,
internet touchpanel in various sizes that price
competes with AMX..What then ?? We all agree I
am sure that the Crestron small panels look better..ST-1700
series..So what does the future hold ?? I know
just like me that we are all (pro the products
we sell)..But one would wonder that a company
that has all the other bases covered quite well
will do when the only product they have left behind
on, meets or exceeds their only real competitor..

THXRick

Hosting Services by ipHouse