The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Friday April 16, 2004 at 04:15
HDTVJunkie
Long Time Member
March 2004
Short answer: Buy DTools, and hang out by the coffee machine at your favorite lumber store.

Caveat:

Don't burn the bridge with your employer in case you don't like being out on your own. I'd like to have a boss for a change. Haven't had one since 1979.

Owner = Paperwork, government forms, complaint resolution, paperwork, research, litigation, paperwork, taxes, fees, dues, paperwork, payments on trucks, tools, office expense, paperwork, employee pilferage, employee no-shows, employee substance dependence, paperwork, profit sharing, medical insurance, and did I mention paperwork? This list, by the way, is very incomplete.

Employee = installation, evenings off, weekends off, paycheck even if the company bills aren't paid.

Almost forgot, the business owner can, if he has a knack for running a business, can make more money than his employees, but that is by no means guaranteed! Most don't last a year.

I don't mean to scare you off. Just go at it with your eyes open. $65/hr + parts would be fair for your prewire work. The trick is to be highly organized so you can get a contractor to pay you based on that rate. They tend to suffer from Can'tGetTheMoneyBackOutOfItfobia.

Best of luck!

Hosting Services by ipHouse