The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 42 made on Saturday May 8, 2004 at 20:51
M_Bruno
Long Time Member
August 2002
Well, this might not be very funny, but I figured I ought to do my best to get this thread back on-topic after that last post.

I recently won a new client by patching up the shoddy work done at his home by a couple other local installers. Having already proven my abilities by thoroughly overhauling and upgrading the client's front-projection family room system (and while there completing the installation of a new network), I was asked to clean up another mess left by a previous installer.

Following a renovation during which the new family room was built (along with the FP system I'd overhauled), a ceiling-mounted projector had been removed from what had been the original family room but which was now more of a parlor. The installer who took down the projector had left behind the projector bracket and a surface-mounted 1900 outlet box with live electrical service. I'm surprised that my client lived with this blight for as long as he did, and valiantly agreed to fix it up.

Taking the bracket down was easy, of course. And I decided that the best thing to do with the 1900 box was to cut a round old-work box into the paneled ceiling, simultaneously covering the abandoned cabling holes and properly capping off the electical feed (which continued on to who-knows-where).

So, long story short(er):

Ceiling height: 10 feet
Ceiling material: 3/4" wainscotting, backed up with 3/4" plywood and two-by blocking (for projector support).
The cutting instrument: 4" hole saw
The motive device: (the notorious) Milwaukee Hole Hawg
The mistake (apart from using Hole Hawg with big hole saw): getting face too close to drill handle.
The result: nice bruise on cheekbone and bridge of nose (to which "safety" glasses had transmitted lateral force of impact).
The good news: I managed not get knocked off ladder. (Now that would have really been "funny!")

Hosting Services by ipHouse