Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 19:28
ONEAC
September 2002
Does making the new guy think he's just help launch a nuclear counter strike count?

The new tech was always looking over my shoulder when I used my laptop, so . . .

On Monday morning I told the new tech AL, who just moved into the area the previous Wednesday, that I'd gotten hold of some bootleg programs over the weekend, and one of was supposed to allow you to peek into certain high level government computers. Al was not too computer savvy, and was always trying to get tips on how to build the best computer.

Anyway It's Monday in Baltimore, about noon when I finally "give in" fire up the modem and load in this "browser" program.
Al is watching as I ignore various warnings and threats of incarceration and stiff fines and "hack" my way into the national defense system. All the time I'm telling Al that there's no way the goverment is going to let anyone get to any critical areas and that the worse thing that can happen is I'll get kicked off the system.
Suddenly, A VERY NASTY WARNING comes up and asks me to enter the passcode to ARM MISSLES!
Al is sweating bullets and is begging me to shutdown the laptop.
I say "this has to be a joke!" "No WAY" and then I type in "LANGLEY"
Suddenly the speaker lets out with a whine and a message on the screen says "MISSLES LAUNCHED! IMPACT IN 30 MINUTES" and a list of Russian cities (TARGETS) begins to scroll down the screen. I pull out the modem line and turn off the computer. "It HAS to be a JOKE!" I say and suggest we go out to lunch. All the way to the resturant we are joking and laughing about the bogus program.

When we get to the resturant, I suggest we set outside.
Just as Al is starting on his lunch, the AIR RAID SIRENS ALL OVER TOWN GO OFF!
Al Turns pale and starts to sweat & shake, his bugeyed stare breaks me up and I almost fell out of my chair, doubled over and laughing.

Did I forget to mention that at that time Baltimore city tested ALL its AIR RAID (CIVIL DEFENSE) SIRENS at ONE O'CLOCK MONDAY.

I don't think Al ever trusted me again.

Hosting Services by ipHouse