Post 15 made on Saturday May 29, 2004 at 13:48
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On 05/29/04 00:01, Larry Fine said...
Fish, Eric means that you should ground the toner's
black lead and connect only the red to the speaker
wires, even all four conductors.

This is THE way to use a toner, because you can often follow the wires with the pickup four or five feet away. That means that you can walk down a hall waving the picup and sense wires in an attic.

This trick is not universally known. I showed it to a 20-year phone company employee a year ago. He was amazed.

When you do this, and there are a bunch of wires to choose from, lay them out in a flat series on your hand and then go from one to another with the pickup. If the wire is there, you will ALWAYS get a louder signal on it (unless it is 100' long running the whole way next to another lead -- in that case, confirm with a continuity test). Also, the correct wire will have the least amount of AC buzz on it, usually none.

This is more sensitive in other ways. A couple of weeks ago we tried locating a cable and the best I could come up with was that I found a cable that was NEXT to the one I wanted somewhere. I went up into the attic and found the one I had located was tied to the one I wanted. The prewire guys had neglected to splice them together. That toner technique simplified things.

I have used this method most recently on a CAT-5 out in the back yard where I stuck one alligator clip into the soil. It worked great.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse