The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Saturday June 19, 2004 at 22:05
tsvisser
Founding Member
March 2002
Your absolutely right digit. Those things that you mention are the most important factors to consider, for those that have the budget to heed our advice. I think that active electronic processing does have a place in our systems though. The truth of the matter is that our electronics and speakers are not perfect devices and it is impossible to design THE PERFECT room. I think that the electronics are close, but speakers are so poor at doing what they are supposed to do (relative statement here... otherwise one would not be able to differentiate live performance from playback) There is always going to be something that needs corrected. Active electronic processing can aid us in getting closer to the goal. Active electronic processing can also cause a big mess if not used correctly.

I use 2 systems at home, because I haven't been able to get satisfactory results from any single setup.

1) turntable, analog pre, single ended amp, sub, monitors.

2) digital front end, active eq, class H amps, cinema 7.2 transducers.

For those that are trying to combine both cinema and music systems into a single system, processing can help tame the weaknesses of any single setup.

...but to get back to the main point of this thread. You have some person that doesn't care that dynamics are supposed to be explosive and doesn't necessarily want to experience the immersive effect of cinema. They are probably the same people that can enjoy the music coming out of an elevator speaker... or has real world issues such as neighbors, kids, spouse, etc... give them what they want, dulled down audio to match the dulled down requirements.
[Link: imdb.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse