Loyal Member
August 2001
On 06/25/04 15:26, oex said...
I would suggest a new 20 amp outlet at the equipment
location irregardless of the 'try it and pray'
approach. If your lights flicker your electronics
will being SCREAMING FOR HELP!!! Larry - back
me up on this one.

I will if you stop using non-existant words such as "irregardles". :-D I may have even mentioned that visible dimming is a sign of excessive voltage drop somewhere.

Unless the original electrician really screwed up, and/or the house is very old, the dining-room receptacles should be on a 20-amp circuit, and permissibly (if that's a word) on one of the kitchen appliance circuits.

A quick history: When homes were first wired, they usually had a single, 30-amp circuit. The only loads were lighting, often a single socket hanging in the middle of the room.

Remember those taps that screwed into a light socket, a bulb screwed into the bottom, and two receptacles on the side? These were among the first electrical accessories made. People figured out that electricity could power more than light. Creature-comfort uses popped up all over, for heating and cooling.

Electricity begat appliances, appliances begat overloads, and overloads begat fires. Thus, the NFPA was born, and the NFPA begat the NEC, and the NEC begat electrical inspectors. Interesting lineage, no?

Now, back to our story: Most receptacles in a residence are considered lighting outlets, and are usually 15-amp circuits; the exceptions are two kitchen appliance circuits, a laundry circuit, and of course, any stationary or fixed-in-place appliances.

Anyway, I heartily agree that any relatively large load, such as a group of electronic equipment usually used at the same time, should be supplied via a separate circuit, and there's no good reason for it to not be a 20-amp circuit.

This is especially true in the case of an older home, where one or two circuits were considered enough to supply a typical home's lighting needs; they probably still are; it's just that we have so many gadgets that lighting is no longer the largest power use in modern homes.

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse