Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday July 20, 2004 at 16:50
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On 07/20/04 01:06, thefish said...
I hear you Lonny, I think it's pretty stupid of
these manufacturers to not build it into the chassis.
What I've been doing is using 2" velcro to attach
the pack to the back of the unit. It's been working
real well. I usually cut the power cord to too.

It is truly stupid from our point of view, but if they could not use an external power supply that has its own separate UL approval (a hassle faced by another company that specializes in power supplies), they probably would have to charge another hundred dollars for the set. Also, this lets them use the same chassis with different line voltages without having to have an internal supply that can deal with all line voltages. Again, retail pricing is lower as a result.

Cut the power cord and you void the UL approval on the power supply. If there is a problem with the set, or God Forbid, a fire, your ass is then in deep.

I commiserate, though: every plasma I have ever seen has come with an eight foot power cord. Good installers put outlets behind the plasmas. Bad installers run these cords, illegally, through the walls down to outlets. I would bet the plasma manufacturers will be made to share liability some day for supplying such a long power cord, implying that it should be run through the wall...because we are litigious.

A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse