The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Monday July 5, 2004 at 22:32
oxjox
Founding Member
March 2002
You guys are kind of getting right to my point. Wouldn't you prefer a system that is built from the get-go for today's standards? Something designed out of the box for residential use? Something that you can learn in about a weeks worth of training or even better a 8 hour seminar at CEDIA? I guess I'm still making assumptions about Control4, but I have high hopes. I would rather learn a programming language that I may already have a little understanding of based on HTML and IP protocols and something that haas a much better chance of making it's way into the future of our business - you may not be too confident in IP right now Impaqt, but no doubt you can appreciate it's movement into current and future hardware configurations. IP protocols built into A/V will bring forth a set of standards that IT professionals have been using for, what, 15 years? Wouldn't you prefer to run Cat-5 through out the house with RJ-45 terminations at the interface and head ends? How about retro-fits? WiFi sure can save a hell of a lot of labor running wires into existing homes. But still, I am also skeptical about a new company coming in and challenging AMX, Crestron and ELAN. Can they possibly provide the braun, the technology, the marketing and most importantly the support these companies have worked so hard to maintain? I would definitely be afraid to make the commitment with Control4 over the other guys. Point is simply that I'm ready for a standards based system that is easier to program and consumer (homeowner) friendly. If you consider all the implications of an IP based system and all the advantages it offers across the board, time, materials, manpower, UI, remote log-in, etc, it's hard not to get excited for the future IP holds for us.

Hosting Services by ipHouse