The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Sunday September 5, 2004 at 10:20
studiocats1
Long Time Member
February 2003
First of all UPS units are not designed to be running equipment on them in case of a blackout. They are designed to be monitored by a computer and provide proper shutdown to avoid data loss and equipment damage. I only use APC Smaart-UPS at least 3000VA. These are fed by a Surgex surge suppressor. I have a system right now that has two of these 3000VA units monitoring a system that includes an ADA 5 channel amp, a QSC Cinema series amp, Runco CRT projector, Runco SAR DVD system, 3 M&K powered subs, and a rack full of source gear including the Crestron processor. If my client is at full volume and the power goes out the Crestron quickly assesses the length of time on battery mode and when it reaches a low level it shuts down the system safely. Last year this house was struck by lightning during a very bad storm. The alarm system, AC units, and the other theater (I did not install that one) all were destroyed. The main theater was perfectly intact and shut down safely. When you have system this large 4K in UPS makes sense. In smaller systems when I can't sell them on the benefits of UPS I make them sign a disclaimer stating I informed them about UPS and they declined the purchase therefore my warranty takes on a whole different meaning. Usually when they see that they will buy the UPS to keep the warranty.

This series of UPS units are not sold at you local computer store so don't look for them there.

[Link: apc.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse