Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday September 15, 2004 at 14:19
JOHNDR
Lurking Member
September 2004
Hi Guys & Girls, help required from the experts

I am trying to remote control the switching over of speakers from one room to another.

Does anyone have any knowledge of remote controlled speaker selection?

Let me explain

I have speakers in the Dinning room, Bathroom and Main Living Room connected to a Kenwood amp/Hi-Fi System via a QED 4 position manual speaker switch, this switch allows me to change speakers from room to room or have all speakers on through the house. The only problem with the current set up is if the speakers in the Dinning room are “on” and I want to turn the speakers “on” in the Bathroom I have to go into the Living Room to change the switch from Dinning Room speakers “on” to dinning room speakers “off” and switch the bathroom speakers “on”, and the same for any other combination of rooms that I might want to listen to the Hi-Fi in. Or leave music on through the house.

To save the trouble of going into the Main Living Room every time I want to change the listening room I would like to be able to turn the speakers on remotely from the room I am in and turn the speakers off remotely in the room I have just left.

My current set up uses Marmitex Poweramids, the receiver is in the main Living Room and the transmitter is in the Dinning Room this allows me to control the Hi-Fi system using the original remote for the Kenwood amp in the Dinning room. A Marmitex Multi Media 8 in 1 Learning Remote control performs the same functions for the Hi-Fi in the Bathroom. (The Marmitex Multi Media 8 in 1 Learning Remote has a built in Poweramid transmitter). A universal Marantz RC2000 MK2 Remote Control is used in the Main Living room to control the Hi-fi, this remote is also used to controls other AV equipment in the Main Living Room.

I could go down the road of installing a Multi Room System but don’t want to go to the expense, since I am more that half way there if I could get a remote controlled speaker selector the job would be complete . Going the Multi room system route would also require retro fit therefore a whole house wrecking job to install cabling.

A Remote Controlled Speaker Switch similar to the QED manual speaker switch would be the answer if such a product were manufacture.

I have received information via avforums.com that some xantech equipment and an RF remote control would do the job, have posted a reply for the info weeks ago but no info back.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Bear in mind that they would need to suit a U.K. set up.
Sorry about so much detail but it may help someone to give me a solution.

Hosting Services by ipHouse