Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 46 made on Thursday September 16, 2004 at 12:47
whdigital
Long Time Member
July 2004
Trunk-Slammer said:
"Maybe sales were just so bad that some suit, or beancounter, decided it was time to take a shot at some other method of moving the line?"

Yep, I had a pretty candid discussion with a rep a while ago and was told that they just weren't selling much of the product against the many multi-zone systems available through distribution. The product (ZON) gets a lot of attention and awards, but just doesn't sell.

I think that Klipsh took a long hard look at what Polk was doing with NetStreams and decided they wanted a piece of that pie. They are coming out with a whole slew of CI speakers and wanted something to plug them into. They probably offered Oxmoor a trunkload of cash for exclusivity in distribution and Oxmoor whacked all the Rep companies (from what I understand).

This suspiciously mirrors the whole way that NetStreams has exclusive distribution with AVAD and Polk also distributes with them. The only difference is that NetStreams DigiLinx is a very open architecture (in comparison to ZON) and could really be an interesting line.

When I spoke with some folks at the ZON booth about the Crutchfield deal they were pretty blunt about the fact that they 'gotta do what they gotta do' to move as many boxes as possible. THAT is the business THEY are in. WE as custom dealers need to always remember that about manufacturers.

Audible Solutions said:
"Or we will morph into techology consultants and try to sell design services."

I had a funny reaction to that statement as it not necessarily being a negative. I haven't been around as long as many of you, but that is the very approach I take to every client and every system. The equipment is a means to an end. Yes, I need, (and very much want to protect!) equipment margins. However, with the above approach the equipment gets sold in a trusted relationship. After all, who in the heck ever "shops" the curtains that the interior decorator is specifying. It just gets invoiced.

My $0.02 worth...
Michael Hall
Whole House Digital

Hosting Services by ipHouse