Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday September 24, 2004 at 22:04
avdude
Founding Member
February 2002
Hey guys,

I am in the process of adding RadioRA to my hacienda...

I have come across the damndest thing....

keep in mind I am only an aspiring electrician, knowing just enough to get by (and electrocuted on occasion), but this has me completely baffled!

I took a three gang plate leading in to my living room from the garage, off the wall...

behind it, I find the three way that controls the switched outlet in the room (one wire identified)

next to that, I find the wire that controls the power to the ceiling fan (fan is a hunter with RF control for lights and fan motor off the single switched leg from the wall) TWO wires identified....

THEN, I find the third wire...wired to a single pole EAGLE toggle switch with a blue colored back and gold and silver contacts (assuming this is just a standard cofiguration single pole switch anyway...I never use eagle brand so I don't know)...here's where it get weird though....

The third switch is wired Hot (black) on the bottom and Traveler (red) on the top...can't find another three way OR switched outlet in the entire house that is un-accounted for....ALSO, when I flip this switch, I get 0Vac on a multi-meter in OFF, and 67-70Vac in the on position...never more!

Have no low voltage anything in this house.

One more weird thing...the switch for my garage light is wired the same way....hot, and traveler to the switch, nuetral on through...regular eagle single pole as described above though...

When I throw the garage switch (actually, son throws switch, while I smell for smoke!) The voltages on the switch in the living room seem the reverse, although doing the same thing on the switch in the living room does NOT affect the switch in the garage....

first question, have you ever heard of this?

second, have you EVER heard of a RED and BLACK being used in place of black and white in anything other than 3, 4 or more way circuits?

third...how the HELL would you tone this out when nothing at the electrical panel seems to isolate it, and when I tone it, I get signal all over the place regardless of ground, or conductor...

thanks all!
AVDUDE
"It might work better if it were plugged in and programmed first...just a thought!"

Hosting Services by ipHouse