Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Wednesday October 6, 2004 at 11:36
BobL
Founding Member
March 2002
Here is my .02.

For a color analyzer I would consider Ovation's Opticone and AVIA Pro. It can read lower light levels and takes readings much faster than the CP-5000. Plus it is less expensive.
[Link: ovationsw.com]

For a signal generator I think the Sencore VP403 can't be beat but is expensive. Being able to use the RF to calibrate the whole chain on Cable/ SAT/ OTA is unmatched. Also, with opticone's software it can control the 403 as well take automatic reading with AVIA Pro. I don't own this one YET as we have a different signal generator and it gets expensive to constantly upgrade. But, it's on my wish list. Actually, I wish there was a cheaper version to just do the RF. Other signal generators can only calibrate the display and not the chain. But, if I were buying new today this would be it.
[Link: sencore.com]

For Audio I think the Sencore is a nice all in one unit. Goldline you will have to get the RTA and separate signal generators. Either will do the job fine though but make sure you consider all the extra costs no matter which unit you choose. If you are willing to go a little further in your audio calibration knowledge then I would get the Goldline-PMI TEF 20 system. It is in a another league for calibrating audio compared to the RTA. It is also a step up in price and education as well. The Tef 20 is what we use.
[Link: gold-line.com]

Either way I'd pick up the Goldline-PMI Audio Toolkit 5.1 DVD. It is a nice tool to have for the money.

An oscilloscope is a nice tool to have as well. Make sure you get one with enough bandwidth. Also, it is another device you need to learn if you have never used one before.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Hosting Services by ipHouse