The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Tuesday October 19, 2004 at 13:52
Bryan Crow
Long Time Member
October 2004
I hope this thread links to a couple of concerns I have about AM broadcast reception. There was a terrific thread about it on this forum two years ago, but I still have questions.

Why don't expensive receivers pick up stations I get clearly on our car radios in our attached garage? Could I just rig a car radio and antenna to input into my home theater receiver? I'm now using a tuneable Terk AM antenna, and it helps, but I still can't get stations I get in our cars--or can't receive them clearly.

I strung a horizontal 90' 16-guage "long wire" (antenna) in the attic. Maybe a "Slinky" toy soldered to coax leads would be more compact and do a better job. Should an AM antenna be outdoors? Must it be? The attic is big.

The long wire does a wonderful job of picking up static, but the receiver sits just four feet from a TV monitor. and I haven't yet connected it to the antenna with coax. Only one end of the long wire feeds the receiver now, and the lead is just insulated wire. Should I run coax to both ends of the long wire (or the ends of a Slinky)? Should I run the leads (or lead) from the antenna through a surge suppressor? Is the ground on household electrical service a safe and effective ground for the receiver? Does the APC UPS that supplies current to our entertainment gear monitor and limit activity in the ground circuit?

TIA

Bryan
Bryan Crow

Hosting Services by ipHouse