The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Thursday October 21, 2004 at 11:29
bcf1963
September 2004
Jailbritton,

I've seen something that works pretty well, and have used it before in planning my own installs.

If there is an ultimate electronics in your area, pay them a visit. They give their audio sales people pre-printed pads that have some spaces for Sales person info, client info, a needs analysis, room diagram (grid space), and equipment list area on the front. (Really nice, in color. Has Monster's name on it. Likely that Monster pays for the pads to be printed and supplied, as Monster's voltage stabilizer, power center, and cables are tactfully promoted on the pad.)

On the back are diagrams of back panels for a A/V receiver, DVR/VHS, HDTV cable box/ sat receiver, HDTV monitor, DVD player, speakers, sub, line conditioner/supressor, AC wall plug, wall phone jack, and satellite connection wall box.

Using this it's simple and quick to cross out components and connections that aren't on the customer equipment. Then draw lines by hand on the diagram to show how to hook up the equipment.

I personally like to draw a circle around connections for a single cable, and then draw a single line to the other component, and draw another circle. Then I explain to the customer to match the colors on the cables to the jacks. Example: For a component cable from DVD to HDTV, I circle the component RCA's on the DVD diagram, circle the component RCA's on the HDTV, and then draw a single line between the circles.

I've also had the idea of using a ink jet printer, digital camera, and photo editing software. Take pictures of the back panels of the components, drop these into your photo editing software. Use the software to draw the appropriate lines, and print the result for your customer.

I think customers would be impressed with either or these approaches, and after doing this you should be able to make the cable sale as well!

Good Luck!

Hosting Services by ipHouse