The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Thursday October 21, 2004 at 12:45
bcf1963
September 2004
Ernie,

Ken sent me copies of their white papers. Although I applaud them for a scientific look at the details, I think they miss the important points as I'll discuss below.

In general they do a nice job of discussing skin effect, and even compute the skin effect at 20KHz, then they make the jump and compute the impedance of the cable based only on the conductivity of the skin effect area of the cable. This is an issue, because even if skin effect is an issue, skin depth still has about 70% of the signal not flowing in the skin, so this makes round cable look excessively bad and their cable look good at audio frequencies.

They also compare their cable to a single conductor round wire. This is another bad comparison. None of us use a single conductor cable, as the flexibility is not acceptable. If you take multiple conductors into account with the skin depth, their cable is no better than a cable of a moderate number of round conductors.

They also tend to forget about low frequencies. Their 18 gauge cable will perform like round 18 gauge at low frequencies. In my mind the worst gauge equivalent of the cable in the frequency range of interest is the determining factor. Their 18ga flat wire will perform equivalent to 18ga moderately stranded round wire at low audio frequencies.

The other issue they totally ignore in their white papers is the impedance of their connectors and connector system. Looking at the pictures on their website, I don't see how they are going to get good contact from the flat conductors to banana plugs, RCA's etc. Looks like they are relying on flat spring contacts over a fairly large area. The fact that the conductors are unprotected copper, means they will oxidize fairly rapidly, and even if the connection is good at first, I don't think they will create a good long term connection. Crimp connectors work well on round cable even with no solder, because the force is great enough to implement a gas tight seal, resulting in the copper not oxidizing. This seems to be missing from the DeCorp system.

Lastly when the 75ohm characteristic cables are discussed, they don't do anything to show that their cables exhibit 75 ohms over the frequencies of interest. They also do not address how they keep the 75 ohm impedance during the transition from flat wire to connector. From the pictures on their site, I think the connectors and lack of shielding are going to be the weakness in their component video, and RF flat wire solutions. If they want to show their cables at 75 ohms, they should show a dB loss per foot as a function of frequency, as well as a capture of a screen shot of a test of their cable and connectors on a Time Domain Reflectomer (TDR) showing the impedance not only of their cable, but connectors as well.

Hosting Services by ipHouse