The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Wednesday November 10, 2004 at 10:50
mr2channel
Select Member
August 2002
On 11/10/04 15:03 ET, Theaterworks said...

We've been using the loop antenna supplied with
our Marantz and B&K receivers. The performance
is poor at best. I'm working on the untested
assumption that the tuners are OK, and at least
as good as the clock radios and car radios ...

I would say that not all tuners are created equal, and that car tuners would be better, since they are used more often than the one that is in most A/V components, and as far as a clock radio goes, I would also say you have a better chance of the tuner also being better, since it is most often used to wake up to.

Is there a way to install an AM antenna in the
attic or on the roof? Is there a correct way
to prewire for it? We've usually got an extra
RG-6 going to the top of the house that could
be used, but what might I hang on the end of it?

RG-6 is fine, but you have to remember that AM is Amplitude Modulated NOT Frequency Modulated, so since the earth is not flat you will lose your ablity to pick up the station sooner than with Frequency Modulation (FM). The "loop" antenna for AM reception is the only way I am aware of to receive AM reception, but the size and direction of the loop will affect reception, as well as the quality of the tuner. I know Terk make a specific AM antenna a while back, it seemed to be OK as far as perfomance but I would say it was not suited for use in an attic, and definantly not an outdoors unit.

I would contact Weingard an antenna manufacture , as they have in my opinion made some of the best FM antennas as well as off air NTSC and ATSC antennas. Oh yeah don't forget that ground wire...
What part of "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." do you not understand?

Hosting Services by ipHouse