The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Wednesday November 17, 2004 at 00:10
FRR
Advanced Member
June 2003
On 11/11/04 19:08 ET, juliejacobson said...
WH and AVX, thanks. I'm looking into them. We're
working on a story about profit opportunities
in light fixtures. What the heck, you're already
selling lighting controls, why not the fixtures,
right?

Light fixtures can be or are a pain in the butt unless you are selling mid to high end fixtures. Otherwise you're competing with the electricians (no offense Larry, but I think you know what I mean) and Home Depot with very small margins.

The next step after selling lighting fixtures or progression to selling lighting fixtures is lighting design. Lighting design is what will seperate you from the low cost product provider. It also is another differentiator when it comes time for the architect to recommend a home automation company. Lighting design is an iterative process that involves you (the lighting designer) the architect and client. If they like your work they're going to think twice about another home automation company or at least lighting control company.

It takes time to develop the skill and product knowledge of the various different lighting fixtures on the market. In addition, learning about light and light dispersion really helps does help. In addition, several lighting fixture companies do have modeling programs that will allow you to design effective lighting systems using their products, but you can only get the applications from a lighting rep/agent.

It is profitable, creative and very rewarding because you can get to paint with light (sounding very artsy), but it takes time and energy. There is a certification program by the National Council on Qualifications for the Lighting Professions (NCQLP) that takes several years to obtain if you're so inclined.

[Link: ncqlp.org]

There is another program sponsored by the American Lighting Association

[Link: americanlightingassoc.com]

This program is better geared for the lighting store sales person than a lighting designer.

And yes, I've sold a truck load of fixtures this year because of a lighting design and have developed a strong working relationship with a very talented architect because of it. She now only thinks of one person for home automation, lighting control, audio and lighting design.

Cheers
Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

Hosting Services by ipHouse