The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Monday January 24, 2005 at 16:24
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I think a lot of this goes back to the basic argument, back in monaural audio days, between separate components and an integrated unit.

Separate components allow, among other things, for different power amps to be used. Separate components are sexier, at least to nerds. There are more of them on the shelf, so they look like a bigger system. It is possible for noise to be lower with separate components because the power supplies of the preamp and power amp(s) are not only separate, they are not in the same chassis.

Integrated units allow you to do the whole thing with one box. They are a more plebeian approach, without the cachet of "separates." They also allow some nice advantages, though, such as power amps that can be selected to be additional surround channels or a second zone amp.

I doubt that the controversy will ever end as to which approach is better. A really important thing to note, though, is that any argument about fidelity and performance is about the top 2% of performance.

As to value, what do you value? Are you more important because your shelves are more filled? Do you hide the equipment because all you want to see is the screen?

I could go on, as I often do....
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse