Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday March 9, 2005 at 09:50
magnafury
Lurking Member
March 2005
This place is great!

I was looking for some input.

I am installing a flat panel LCD (31.9Lbs) over a limestone fireplace. I have already done heat tests and the install area stays below 80 degrees Fahrenheit, which is well within standard operation temperature for the display.

I am having trouble deciding on the mounting configuration. The installation area is limestone with mortar joints.The limestone area protrudes about 5 1/2 inches from the wall.The limestone blocks all have uneven surfaces. I think it was meant to replicate a rustic cottage look. The uneven surface of the blocks will be the biggest challenge on getting this installation level.

Option 1

Find a mounting bracket with a small or thin footprint that would fit snug in one of the mortar joints. I might have to build up the mortar a small bit to create an even surface so the display would be level.

Option 2

Use a piece of plywood as a support plate. I could bolt the plywood to the wall at mortar joints. This would create a nice smooth surface to mount the display on. but due to the uneven surface of the limestone blocks I would have to ensure the support plate would be level also.

Am I going in the right direction? Will the mortar joints have enough strength to hold the display plus mounting hardware?

I do not think I will be able to run wire behind the fireplace. I was planning on some sort of conduit or cable cover to conceal the cables. Maybe paint the cable cover the same color of the wall.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a basic diagram
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This message was edited by magnafury on 03/09/05 10:04 ET.

Hosting Services by ipHouse