Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Thursday February 24, 2005 at 00:38
2nd rick
August 2002
You seem to have two related threads on the forum here...
My take is that anything electronic with any level of intercommunication is vulnerable at some level.

I am a staunch proponent for dedicated systems in home control, as an example, and security is only one concern. I do not want my clients to have to sit through 3 hours of tech support from India to get their lights back on when a worm infiltrates their all-in-one Bill Gates internet portal, media server, and home automation controller PC.

As for the related question on the other thread, I vote to leave the security consult and network administration to a specialty IT services company. It is difficult enough to delegate time and money to keep a staff trained with the changes in our own industry, much less take on a lightning fast changes of the IT industry.

I do believe that someday soon on-call emergency techs, like the "Geek Squad" model, will be the as common in the the US as the ubiquitous Roto Rooter vans and locksmith trucks.
I imagine 24 hr. dispatched on-site tech service with dozens of little VW Beetles in every city full of propellerhead kids fixing hardware and software issues to make out homes work again.
Rick Murphy
Troy, MI

Hosting Services by ipHouse