The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Monday February 21, 2005 at 16:24
Late Night Bill
Long Time Member
February 2004
I think there is some flawed logic in how most people perceive technology, as pimped by those providing the technology. People perceive technology as something that will make their lives easier, safer, more convenient, etc. Only a few people fully understand the technology and it's weaknesses, so for the rest, it has to become a blind faith that the technology will do what it supposed to.

Just as you, Julie, ask this question, Paris Hilton will be asking, and customers will be asking the basic question of, how do I know it is safe? And the only honest answer that any of us can give is, I don't know. Even the designer of our various goodies we build our dependencies on can't guarantee 100% safety against electronic attacks. The only thing that we can promise to do is to do our due diligence and use the commonly accepted security measures such as firewalls, good passwords, and common sense. Beyond that it is like the weatherman guaranteeing sunshine on Saturday for the big game.

So to your question of what types of security threats do our customers face?
*A criminal could remotely use you own IP enabled security cameras to 'case the joint' and know exactly what you patterns are.
*The same criminal could remotely open gates, garage doors, disarm alarms to gain access to your home.
*A virus could be implanted into you set top box that would dial expensive 900 numbers during the night.
*Your robot could suddenly turn on you to protect you from yourself... oh wait, that was a movie. :)

Hosting Services by ipHouse