The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Wednesday October 3, 2001 at 22:36
Andrea Whitlock
Welcome Back
June 1999
I've had a request for CueCat notes/info, so I thought I would post here in case anyone else is interested.

Do not install or register the software that comes with the CueCat (it's spyware). The Digital Convergence (company behind the CueCat giveaway) software transmits the serial number of your CueCat along with what you scan, to their database for spying ("target marketing") on you. They've got your name and your serial number if you register and use their software. There's a raging debate elsewhere regarding their "cease and desist" letters to authors of programs like CatNip. Here are 2 links with more info if you're curious about that:

[Link: nc.flyingbuttmonkeys.com]
[Link: cuecatastrophe.com]

These 3rd party programs (like CatNip) circumvent Digital Convergence's ability to track your use of the CueCat, and thus, their ability to collect revenue from selling that information about you.

Download the free CatNip software from:

[Link: goldsteinsoftware.com]

To use CatNip with DVD Profiler:

1. "CatNip Settings" screen:
Output Type: Data
Output (.[Period]) Output (Return)

2. "CatNip Profiles" screen:
a. Create a new profile: DVD Profiler
b. Scan Type: UPA
c. Filter: -++++++++++-
d. Leave "Command" blank, click on "Save Scan"

3. Start DVD Profiler, add a DVD. With the cursor in the UPC entry field, scan the UPC with the CueCat.

If you change the right hand "Output" field from (Return) to (None) then the proper code will be entered and you can manually press "Enter". Some prefer to let CatNip automatically send the (Return) code.

Linux drivers, Perl decoder, and great links (like how to "declaw" your CueCat) at:

[Link: oss.lineo.com]

Great information on how the CueCat works (and pictures of the internals), as well as info on physical modifications you can make to it at:

[Link: air-soldier.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse