The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Monday August 29, 2005 at 12:59
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
Believe it or not your remedy is part of the problem. We in the business cannot agree on what is required and that is 3/4 of the problem. Discrete IR codes only solve the most rudimentary definition of product integraton even if for some of us that might be all that would be required. Discrete IR code sets are indeed a part of the answer but they are not in and of themselves THE ULTIMATE solution. If your conecpt of product automation is limited to IR based solutions ( and in consumer electronics that is a reasonable assumption) must the soluton be predicated solely on the paradigm of the universal remote control? You mean to suggest that this is the only type of automation you can conceive? You have never tried to use some type of control system, however rudimentary? No IR sensor and main unit? No RF remote control sans blast emitter? If we accept that the control protocol can only be one way IR ( with all of the possible problems that entails ) might rear 1/8 mini jacks for that signal not concomitantly also be equally important in the end?

no one is saying limit equipment to IR. All I was saying is make IR better. I would put RS-232 above IR and think all devices should include it and RS-232 and IR should be at the same levels (i.e. if there is a discrete code in IR for X, it should have an RS-232 code as well or the other way around), as to the other points I would rather use discrete codes then sensors or state variables any day of the week. I guess the question is can you get everyone that buys from you to go full out on Crestron or AMX? My guess is not.

But if one's paradigm is limited to a universal learning remote it would be all that YOU would require but it would not solve the problem of trying to automate consumer electronics on a somewhat larger scale.

Even though I agree as a general statement, I think you would be amazed at what can be done in the right environment. I have used Prontos to control a dual room VC system (the system was in a smaller room but A/V I/O was routed to a large auditorium for mega meetings), in one of our plants they decided to integrate the VC system into a crisis room, it had sat/cable/radio -for news, video from security cameras were routed to the room, it had two VCRs to be able to record or play at the same time, a TV and 2 projectors (where video could be routed to any of the three projectors) not to mention the VC unit and all the other stuff it needs.

Nor is my solution inherently more expensive than yours

what solution? and more expensive to whom? are you talking about going with Niles and stuff?

Hosting Services by ipHouse