Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Sunday October 9, 2005 at 18:11
FP Crazy
June 2003
I'm a big believer in some sort of showroom for a variety of reasons. However, it may not be for everyone, and I do feel that unless you are a big presense in a big market, you should have some restraint in your showroom choices.

We are in in a tertiary market (MSA of slightly less than a half a mil) and I have a showrrom, open by appointment only, as we are often (70% of the time) out in the field.

I have 2 rooms, one is a dedicated theatre room, (front PJ, 2 rows of theatre seats, 96" wide screen, Martin Logan Summit speakers, DWIN, Bryston, B&K, Lutron Grafik Eye, MX3000, Makita drapes, etc... ) The other is sort of a lifestyle room with a lesser expensive PJ on a drop down screen, a 62" Toshiba DLP RPTV, B&K recv'r, MX850 remote, more MartinLogan speakers, couch, coffee table (more of a living room look). It has worked well for me, in my market with my type of customer base.

I'd guess that 60-70% of my customers get a demo in my showroom. And that is one reason I maintain a showroom. But some of the main reasons I feel a showroom is imprtantn to me:

1. It allows me to play with the equipment in my own enviornment, and not beta test in my customer's homes (something that is a pet peeve for me). I like to work out the AV solutions and equipment choices on my own time. Whenever I hear on this forum that someone has installed a PJ or remote (for their first time) in a customer's home and are having issues, I just laugh and chalk it up to a lesson learned for that individual (in other words, sometimes you get what you deserve). Let your showroom also be your lab

2. Sometimes it can set you apart from the lessor, true trunk slamming competition. I have gotten some good jobs becasue, I was able to show off a great expereince and my competitor could not.

3. As popular as Custom Install is getting, I am still amamzed how many (even affluent and well heeled) folks, still have not experienced a well executed dedicated Home Theatre. Sometimes they walk in thinking they want a 60" TV, and walk out willing to budget for a dedicated room - after they have expereinced it. It can really get the juices to flowing

3. I like to sell nicer, more expensive equipment. Often, you have to demonstrtate the higher end equipment. Customers are often willing to opt for the better stuff, but you have to show them the difference. I do that with a compelling demo.

4. And I will admit it, that it is also an emotional decision for me too. I like this stuff, and I like to spend some time (after hours) in my demo rooms - given time - watching a movie, lietening to music. It keeps my passion kindled for my craft and helps to keep me from getting burned out. I feel my customer's can sometimes sense my passion for the art of what I do, and that passion can be contagious.

5. It is also important to remember that we are selling experiences. Good showrooms need to reflect that

Having said all of this, I do acknowledge that a showroom - regardless of level - is not for everyone. It does depend on your financial abilities, your market, your stature in your market and your commitment to your showroom. It is time consuming and expensive to keep it fresh, maintained and compelling.

I also feel that you mustn't do too much of a "built-in" solution. As tempting as it is to make everything physically integrated into the room, one must remember that the equipment will eventually be rotated out of the room, as old models expire and new models come onto the scene. You don't want to have to rebuild the room every year. That can really get expensive. So you have to be smart about the room(s) construction and keep that in mind when designing the room(s). Projectors are constantly changing and PJ throw distances do change. Speakers change too, so even though we sell the shit out of Triad, I do not use too many of their in wall products in my showroom (even though I mainly sell their in wall prods). Almost strictly free standing speakers, which are much easier to close out when the new models hit.

Hope this helps.
Chasing Ernie's post count, one useless post at a time.

Hosting Services by ipHouse