Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Tuesday January 31, 2006 at 13:08
Audible Solutionns
March 2004
I don't konw wherer the best programmers come from. The best code jockeys often have no clue how to devlop code for A/V. We see this alll of the time with respect to manufacturer generated code. Partially this is the natural result of our own blinders. I write code to make a system work the way I think it sholuld work. And if there are other ways to use it or it is used in a way I did not expect what happens? For example, what happens if your client sets the heating setpoint higher than the cool setpoint? What happens if your scheduler program is only based upon digital press logic? If the thermostat is changed and no one presses a button to change the mode will the program reinititalize the mode ( does it recognize the manual change ) or does it still think it's in that mode so that it does not understand that the temperature has changed and will not resend the code for that mode.

For Crestron dealers you can see lots of these example, the CLX lighting module is based upon button presses and not the actual lighting analog state. I have witnessed many code jockeys who can code much better than I write horrid programs. Understanding what to code is being able to code are 2 different talents.

However, Impaqt's point is very wise. If you don't practice you will never be very good. The more code you write the more you will learn and the better your code will become. That said, youi have to begin somewhere. He's a college student. Who says he will remain with this dealer for ever? As someone else pointed out he's looking ahead. It is a rare coder who will become proficient at both languages but it's still a lanugage. You need to practice it but as long as you do you should be decent and maybe better. But you need to exercise the mussel to improve.

Alan
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse