to do occastionally. It takes a LOT of work and
practice to get good. Touching up a clients program
or programming a home theater here and there just
dont cut it.

If your shop is not up to speed on this kind of
stuff, your doing the best thing right now by
subbing it out.

Great point.

It does seem our OP is intent on being a programmer, pure and simple. I don't think programming (language) is something you do part time. I shy away from companies who've looked at my resume rife with (configurable systems) programming experience, who then ask me if I 'know AMX.'

That's a red flag to me. You don't get good at programming language by doing it part time. Hire a programmer.

I once thought I wanted to be an actual programmer, and started learning VB. It was a great experience. I deduced I could be a really good programmer, if I committed to it and did nothing else for 40 hours a week. Then I realized I'd be sitting in front of computer all the time, and I wouldn't be doing other things I like doing. I made a wise choice and decided to let the real 'programmers' do the code, and I program everything else.

In my experience, the best programmers I've worked with came into the work force as programmers, then moved to the AV Integration industry. There's a message in that for me.

Also, I've worked commercial that did both Crestron and AMX. Of the best programmers, nobody mastered both languages. Though most guys could do both, there was a definite difference in capabilities between the two languages.

If the OP's company is intent on using Crestron more, then he'd do well by utilizing Crestron's resources. Otherwise, sub it out and work on mastering the programming of the platforms currently utilized. If he really wants to learn the Big Two, then he should move to a Big Two shop.

I'm impressed the guy is looking ahead and wanting to learn more, so kudos to him.

Hosting Services by ipHouse