The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday May 14, 2006 at 12:56
Tom Ciaramitaro
Loyal Member
May 2002
In an effort to promote the greatest level of professionalism in our community I have opened a new thread.

Part of being a professional includes having good communication skills. Part of communicating well includes good thinking, good writing, good grammar, and so on. Although I tend to be sparse on punctuation (I believe there will be a global shortage of commas in the near future) I do try to adhere to most other fundamental conventions in the written word.

One area I have seen us pros lacking on a consistent basis is in the area of spelling. We can't appear as professionals if we write like fifth graders. Ernie has been both diligent and vigilant, often staying up to the wee hours correcting other posts to try to raise the level of our industry in these key linguistic skills.

Most recently he corrected the poster who was having trouble with pulling a wire and talked about the "eves". Eve of course was the one who goofed up the entire human race (nearly) irreparably by eating the forbidden fruit in the garden. EAVE or EAVES is the proper spelling.

Another one that makes me nutty is when someone posts, looking for a DISCREET power code. DISCREET is something done secretly, or in a low keyed fashion. DISCRETE is a word meaning "separate" or distinct, and therefore we look for DISCRETE codes.

There are more. I am sure more can chime in.

Ed, we will discuss capitalization in another thread.

Yours for a professional industry,

Sincerely,

I remain,

Tom
There is no truth anymore. Only assertions. The internet world has no interest in truth, only vindication for preconceived assumptions.

Hosting Services by ipHouse