Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Monday May 22, 2006 at 09:20
Audible Solutionns
March 2004
This is called roaming and most consumer access points to not support it although a few claim that they do. If you are using Linksys, Dlink or any of the other inexpensive consumer gear just forget about using roaming. You'd be better off following the setup information provided above and defining each separate access point as "preferred" in each of the computers on the network. If you really need to "roam" on a consumer network I'd suggest that you define each access point as preferred in each "roaming" network device but you may find the transition moving among the various access points may not be perfectly seamless. There may be a few seconds when a connection is lost and then reestablished on the new access point. I understand that this may not be acceptable and is the reason you might wish to use the "roaming" feature. Therefore, if you truely need to "roam" then you may have to use a commercial access point. Ironically, for a Crestron web tablet or some web device that you expect to use as you move around a home you will find better results on the consumer access points that do not support roaming then on the pro or prosumer access points that do. I've no clue about AMX gear.

My only comment to the above setup information is that the IP address needs to be different but it can be any unused IP address. It does not need to be + or-1 though this can be considered a good idea as you will not need to remember vastly different IP addresses. When networking in non commercial enviorments I find it best to group devices according to some predefined pattern in all of my jobs. For example, Access points begin at .225 and go up. CD/DVD servers begin at 200 and go up. Printers, scanners and other home networking gear begin at IP addresses 20 and go up. Control systems begin at IP address 70 and go up. What changes in commercial enviorments? You are given the IP addresses by IT and you need to use what ever they allow.

The pattern you come up with will depend on the brand of router you use and where it's default DHCP addressses begin. I learned on Linksys equipment and they begin DHCP at IP address 100. I carry this through on all jobs irrespective of the router's default DHCP so I have less to remember from job to job.

Alan
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse