The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Friday June 9, 2006 at 09:07
tschulte
Advanced Member
November 2005
Instalz, when I first started I got burned be a lady that begged for an intercom to be put in her house. Time was of the essense and since I was just starting out I was egar to get the job. After I met her at the house, I got a wiered felling about her. Never met the husband, just her. It seemed she went out of her way to talk about Jesus and church. Now I am not bashing either, she just took it too far. The first quote I give her is way out of her budget and it was a NuTone IM3303 basic intercom. She had a NuTone brochure and asked about a simplier one that I had never installed before. I told her I would have to get back to her with a price because I had never installed one before. The picture clearly showed what it would look like (basically a big off-white box on the wall). The speakes were square. It was just intercom. Basically, it was very ugly and 1970's. I got my cost and shot her a price that was more in line with her budget. She haggled at first, but finally agreed to the price and I did the rough-in with no problems. A few months later I am called to finish up. I go out put in the equipment, and everything works great. I leave my invoice with the GC (because I didn't have an address for her). About 3 weeks go by and I don't hear anything from anyone. Finally the GC calls and says she is not happy becuase the main unit looks terrible. I explained that this is what she picked out. He says that she is refusing to pay until I switch it out for what I quoted. Now my paper quote clearly had model numbers on it, but she said that I pointed to the 3303 when I was explaining it. To make a long story short I told her to go pound sand, and didn't get a dime out of it. I learned 2 very important lessons 1.) Bill for 50% at rough, and 50% at trim. 2.) Walk away from customers that give you a bad feeling whatever the feeling is.

The funny thing is, my partner at the time blamed me for not getting paid. He said I didn't take care of her like I should have. He never talked to her, never met her, never went to the house so it is my fault we didn't get paid.

Also on the direct or plate thing. We usually use a nose (or sometimes no) plate behind the display, but will plate were the equipment goes. I prefer a direct connection to plates.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Hosting Services by ipHouse