The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday June 24, 2006 at 12:23
roddymcg
Loyal Member
September 2003
This is more a rant on the state of builders in this country.

My girlfriend's dad buys this 8,000 sq ft house with like 10 bedrooms on the outerbanks, NC. I have not got up the nerve to ask what he paid for the house. But everywhere I look there are all these new houses built buy some company named Tweedy.

This house is beautiful, wood work is a great. Marble in the kitchen, awesome stone fireplace. Fridges with beer all over the place, something like five of them so far that I have found.

But the low voltage and lighting here is a joke. By the front door there are 3 banks of 4 switches, one on top of the other. Two banks of 3 in several other places. They have went throughout the house with a label maker labeling everything. What a shame... Aparently they were never given any options.

Then for each TV, something like 20 of them, there is only one coax to each location. No phone or data. At least in the back of some of the rooms I have been in there is phone and date on the same plate, just standard plates, not even Decora style. Basic cable everywhere with lines throughout the picture, a Noresent (??) Plasma in the family room with basic cable, looks like dog doo doo...

Then the theater, looks like they kinda tried. Theater seats, very cheap to say the least, but at least theater seats and a riser. Those JBL little ball speakers, and a Denon very low end receiver (AVR 995 maybe ??) and a Hitachi 60 something display. Looks okay with DVD. A Tosbiba DVD/VCR combo that I know does not have discretes, I made my partner return 2 of them ealier this year. And a HTM 600, Hold down M1 for 2 seconds to turn on, Hold down M2 to turn off, hit home and hold DVD for 2 seconds to have DVD come on.

Pathetic is an understatement, remote blows. But so does the equipment and maybe even the programmer. Maybe this is the best he ever worked with. I have had to turn off the whole system and wait a minute or 2 and turn it back on just to watch a DVD. Not quite what I would consider acceptable.

And the whole house audio in this beautiful party house, well there is none, never even wired for it. No security or camera provisions either. WTF. For a place that rents out for almost $10k a week , yes a week, in the prime season.

Anybody in this area have a clue, you might want to bring a card along and pass it out, this place is begging for someone of any kind of skills.

I am trying to be polite and keep my mouth shut because my girl's dad had to of dropped a couple mil into this place and I don't want to tear it apart and make him have doubts. Plus I get to stay here for free, did I mention there are at least 5 fridges here full of beer, wonderful beer...

Had to get that out,

rant off
When good enough is not good enough.

Hosting Services by ipHouse