Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Monday July 10, 2006 at 12:03
Audible Solutionns
March 2004
It depends on the size of the job. The issue for me is data, not so much RF or voice. I often run data into the rack. A. I use managed switches and routers and I often have lots of gear in the rack that requires Ethernet connections. B. I want those devices on the same surge and line conditioning as the rest of the equipment in the rack. C. I prefer rack mounted network gear D. I prefer to segrigate voice and RF from data, even in a structured wiring bundle.

I also think one of the great marketing hypes are structured wiring cabinets. I prefer to do my own. That means that my RF is slightly less attractive and I shed zero tears about that. For cost no object I'll add some Crestron lighting back boxes and put that equipment in the back box. Other than having covers and hiding the wire I think those back boxes are a poor solution. I look at the way commercial contractors specializing in data or voice do it and other than dedicated racks for voice, data or RF no one uses a back box; especially one designed to screw up RF and make cross connecting voice neigh impossible.

Damn right data and A/V racks meet on my jobs. Crestron requires Ethernet and if you are using Ethernet Crestron devices you may have 10 or 15 Ehternet wires just for this; as does CD servers, DVD servers, DVRs, and lots of equipment soon to show up but not yet part of our installation packages. If anyone is doing IP audio you will see yet an other reason to have data in your audio rack. As video via the network becomes more popular you will see yet an other reason. I need to control the router and how addresses are handed out and having that router locked in my rack helps me to do that. Running 6-15 data lines out of the rack into a second rack is a solution we have also used but I don't see it as superior to moving the data into the rack and using a 2 gang 110 rack mountable punch down block.

Alan
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse