The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Friday January 19, 2007 at 13:18
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 19, 2007 at 09:19, Shoe said...
A lot of guys on this site
reccommend Hilti Togglers but I find metal studs can sometimes
compromise the plastic component of them. Use all metal
connectors.

There are plastic togglers? Let's get this straight!

First, Hilti has no products that look like the Togglers I have been using for ten years, and toggler provides no hits from their search engine. When you're recommending parts to hold up a device that costs thousands of dollars, let's have a model number.

I found Togglers at toggler.com, and yes, they have plastic ones. They call them Hollow-Wall/Medium Duty Toggler Hollow-Wall Anchors.

They rate them at 234 pounds in 5/8" drywall, which is standard here in California. But that is only the SHEAR strength! They DON'T MENTION how much pull will pull them out of the wall, and with a plasma, the upper mounts are subjected to lots of pull and some shear, while the lower mounts are subjected to shear until the top ones let go...and then they are subjected to torque, a combo of shear and pull.

The only togglers you should consider at the Hollow-Wall/Heavy Duty Snaptoggle Toggle Bolts.

These are different and vastly improved over normal toggle bolts in these ways:
*the toggle behind the wall is a solid piece of steel, bent in a U shape; because it is one piece, it can't be broken like normal toggle bolts can be.
*It uses a 1/4-20 bolt, not a sheet-metal screw. Real threads for real support.
*there are more threads than in a normal toggle bolt, so pull-out strength is greater (although still not specified).
*the spiffy nylon piece that stays outside the wall holds the toggle in position, so you can remove and replace the bolt multiple times. It's not like a normal toggle bolt, where you lose the toggle if you remove the screw. This is what we need.

I don't work for these people; I just was incredibly impressed with this item when it appeared and I still love it.

It is especially good with metal studs because you can position its metal piece behind a stud and get additional support across the drywall that way. I would NEVER use even ten or twelve of these on drywall only to support a plasma. Again, we don't know what the pull-out strength is.

There is a drawback to using these with steel studs. Since the steel stud is smooth on the back, you might get one of these into a position where it can spin on the back side of the stud. You want to avoid that by placing it as close as you can to the part of the stud that goes from wall to wall, rather than smack in the middle of the portion parallel to the drywall. You might need to do some plaster work, after all, to be able to see just where that is.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse