The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Wednesday May 2, 2007 at 10:54
Paul Young
Long Time Member
February 2007
Hi all, I wanted to get into this thread also to address some of the specific issues that were raised earlier.

On April 30, 2007 at 15:54, fluid-druid said...
Love the concept...but we just couldn't get confidence
in the product due to:

1. lockups of keypads and webserver/amps
2. a few times zone keypads (TL380) would appear to
work, but couldn't turn off the music or adjust volume.

We have found some bugs in the past that would cause the touch panels to lock up. No excuse, any bug like that isn't acceptable, and we have since fixed it both in the form of a software update you can apply through Dealer Setup and in new units.

3. Escient piece started to lock up quite regularily
when DL system was added to the mix.

I can't speak to that directly w/o more info but would be interested in more of the symptoms, maybe we can talk offline (see email at bottom).

4. After first few problems, our disty rep (with good
custom experience in past) came and rewired our store
(drop ceilings). Problems did not get better.

This tells me that the problem was likely not in wiring (duh), our 2nd most frequent problem area after wire is using older firmware. I'm not shifting any blame to the installer, it's on us (NetStreams) to provide an easy-to-install system that tells the installer if/when anything should be updated.

5. Lack of flexibility when combining with Home THeatre
etc. . Especially the fact that Escient content is
a STREAM to Netstreams. Without a painful workaround,
there is no way to listen to the same song at the same
time on a netstreams zone and in a theatre (direct from
Escient, using TV GUI)

This is a known issue for us, and something we're currently addressing.

This one point I have to address:

On April 26, 2007 at 22:27, JBJ SYSTEMS said...
FWIW...Crestron becomes WAY cheaper once you get over
4 zones of DigiLinX.

I've personally done the pricing exercise with dozens of CI's who have both Crestron and NetStreams experience. In fact this is a benchmark that we think about often, and I can say with high confidence that that statement is not accurate in almost all cases. IF you are ONLY using NetStreams for audio, and comparing DigiLinX with Adagio, sure. When you start to add in the stuff on the Crestron side to get parity with what we provide included with the system or have a scaling advantage on, you'll find we're actually less expensive in most cases.

For example, on a NetStreams system you get intercom included, in Crestron you add a C2N-IADS30X24. On a NetStreams system, IP camera support is included, on a Crestron system you add a C2N-IVDS24X24 to get analog camera support. On a Crestron system you get 2 simultaneous streams of audio from an AADS, from an Imerge, Escient, or ReQuest server on a NetStreams you can get up to 6 simultaneous. This is all out-of-the-box type stuff, no programming, just point and click. I'm not saying we're more flexible than a Crestron sytem, but I am saying that the cost is not as black and white as it may appear from that statement above.

Anyone can reach me at [email protected]. Buzz is one of our main sales guys, Michael Braithwaite is our CTO, and I am our Director of Product Management. You guys are our customers and potential customers, and because we're a market facing company, we value your feedback. Feel free to reach out to me anytime, our office # is 512-977-9393, ask for Paul.
Paul Young, Director of Product Management for NetStreams
www.netstreamsu.com - NetStreams University
www.netstreamsforums.com - NetStreams Official Dealer Community

Hosting Services by ipHouse