The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Tuesday July 17, 2007 at 01:15
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 16, 2007 at 21:17, idodishez said...
You're kidding right?

I wasn't kidding. I have never looked into connecting two computers diretly together, so I have never run across this concept with CAT5. wow, my reputation precedes me to the point that if I say something stupid, people think it's a joke. What a great safety net for the ego! I must cultivate that....

Most of my hands-on computer stuff is done by one of my sons, who used to be in charge of hardware for the administration and staff (not students) of a local college. Now he's in charge of software. So I probably asked him years ago how to directly connect two computers together, he NEVER wanted to accidentally run across a crossover cable and have it muck up his day, so he told me not to bother with it. That's probably what happened.
On July 16, 2007 at 23:23, Proggieus said...
what makes the
difference is knowing why A goes to B or more importantly
"how" A goes to B"...but you never know when it will
be a day saver.

I describe my approach to this stuff as learning WAY more about these things than I need to solve the problem at hand. This always helps me to make decisions when things don't work right and I literally have to design a solution. For instance, I was on the phone with a tech at Zinwell the other day asking how many mA it takes to run their switch, and LNBs. If I ever need to have an idea how wire length and resistance affect the voltage AT the LNB, this info will help. But it won't be in the manual and it won't find you. You have to seek it out.

On July 16, 2007 at 21:56, InstallerCarl said...
Ernie to answer your question we were using 4XEM

Thanks. Only thing is, I have no idea wha 4XEM is. It could be another Star Wars android, for all I know. I'll go look it up.

Last edited by Ernie Bornn-Gilman on July 17, 2007 01:21.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse