The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Wednesday September 26, 2007 at 01:54
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On September 25, 2007 at 12:30, Neurorad said...
To the point, MUST I bought an amplifier to run the whole-house
audio?

no, as others said, but there have been some threads here recently where the consensus seems to be that you're pushing your luck if you use the second zone amp in an A/V receiver for more than two, maybe three rooms. If you didn't have the switcher, you could use the internal amp for two rooms (three if you play quietly!) and an outboard amp for the other four rooms. Buy a fifty or so watt receiver off of ebay and use it as the outboard amp. Get a brand different from your main amp so remote controls don't affect two units at the same time.

2nd zone powered AVR (not yet purchased), Niles SPS-6
speaker selector, impedance-matched VC's, 7 speaker pairs.

The SPS-6 is an impedance matching device, so if you already have impedance matched VCs, set them to X1 (time one). The SPS-6 splits up the output, meaning that speakers in room A will be louder when playing alone than if you also play speakers in rooms b,c,d,e,f,g. If you need to play some room louder at the expense of the others, that's the ONE case where I prefer an SPS-6.

My preference is to just use impedance matching VCs set to X8, or 8X, or whatever has an eight in it, and not use the SPS-6. Why? When you leave the room, you turn down the volume. If you have the switcher, you'll run into cases where you thought you turned the volume down, you'll go to the room and turn up the volume, then realize that you have to go back to the switcher and turn it on.

Either that or six months after you wire this up, you'll realize that you NEVER go to the SPS-6 and turn any room off. So it was a waste to put it in.

I understand I'll be getting low wattage.

Yeah, but it's AMAZING how effective, say, five watts is for background music.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse