The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Wednesday January 9, 2008 at 08:48
Overcast5
Long Time Member
January 2007
Make sure to use lacer bars and make sure there is 1 for each piece of equipment. It works best if you use custom length wiring for everything possible, but if you have to use premade cables (power, hdmi, etc.) try looping the extra wire at the trunk line rather than at the equipment. This leaves it looking cleaner but harder to remove. I also like to have all of the incoming wire coming in at one point either the top or bottom and have a "trunk" for all of the wire to run, separating power on one side of the rack and all others on the other side. It's never possible to completely separate the power, so don't stress over it too much. Since you said you've got two racks next to each other you can think of this in 2 ways. You can run your inter-rack wiring down your trunk then into the next rack's trunk, or you can loop it straight across (which looks terrible if there are no holes between), but the second method requires a lot less wire if money is an object. I just added a second rack to a PVID system and had to run 400 feet of loop wire to the new pvid and pad8. Had i just ran it straight across that wire length would've been less than half of that, but I wouldn't have been able to close the doors. Looks mean a lot to rack owners. For general wiring tips check out that pic from the earlier post as a good example. Pull all connection points to the lacer bar then use a zip tie to make sure there's no stress on the connection without leaving slack. Too much slack means a messy rack, but not enough means a service call when it pulls loose. It also helps to make sure you have a deep rack, so you can mount things like baluns and network switches to the inside wall with velcro and not have to use a rack shelf mounted to the rear rails (this only works if you have extra space in the rack). My main rule is one bundle coming in to the rack, not several bundles strung all over (sorry simoneales), but sometimes this just isn't possible. Remember "custom" means we do whatever necessary to make it work. Also, i always do internal wiring first before pulling external wire into the rack, to answer your question.

Hosting Services by ipHouse