The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Friday March 7, 2008 at 15:42
Mr. Stanley
Elite Member
January 2006
My oldest brother was one of those straight-A students. He could do just about anything. He was quite a bit older than me, but in high school he got a great after school job working for an electronics place (TALLY), and was making huge money for a young guy... he became an engineer for them.
In his spare time he started building speakers, and amplifiers and pre-amps (before solid state crap), in the early sixties. My mom was a professional musician, and my dad, well he liked Louis Armstrong (really loud). ...So my brother built some huge speakers and we set up a "Music Room" in the house. Big room, big speakers, nice turntable and (tube) electronics. He also built systems for his college classmates.
He was killed in car wreck a few years later, but he really got me into speaker design, and music in general, and I just recall him staying up till 2 or 3 in the morning soldering away on his amp & pre-amp designs... and the look of jaw-dropping - awe on my fellow grade schoolers' faces when I invited them over, and cranked up the Kinks "You Really Got Me" on those giant speakers as loud as I could, before the folks came home, and that has stuck with me.

Music was ALWAYS jamming in the house.
When the British Invasion hit, I was totally hooked on music - Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds & Kinks etc.
I started building speakers (wasn't intelligent or patient enough to build amps or pre-amps)... Got a job in a crappy speaker factory, right out of high school. Worked my ass off there, ended up running the shop at 18 --- 42 employees.

I got into a hoffific car wreck, quit the factory.
Healed for a while at home.
I soon thereafter won a law-suit, got a huge bag of money (AT THE TIME), started a really cool little Hi-Fi store, and built speakers, sold the old (GOOD) Marantz, Phase Linear, Crown, Quatre, Yamaha & some MacIntosh (sideways of course) etc.
Did OK, (actually, barely scraped by, but always had money for rent, beer & pizza, and the occasional visit to the local topless clubs)!!!

...Then I got hired by Bob Carver @ Phase Linear (before he did "Carver" & "Sunfire"). Worked with Bob on a very unusual (at the time) speaker set-up --"The ANDROMEDIA III". Took at least 700 watts to work properly!!!
One of the first, if not THE first sub satellite system. Finished the project, left and worked for a Speaker place in Seattle, then a couple very nice Hi Fi shops... started the Custom Division at one of those places...

Got pissed one day and quit, took a better job (I thought), then worked for a handful of small Custom Shops... then said "screw-it" and started doing my own installs and have done that off and on for the last several years occasionally going back to work for what I thought were good small operations, that well, didn't work out.
Business is Up and Down... I'm getting lazy in my older years!

IF YOU DO YOUR OWN THING FOR A WHILE - IT IS HARD TO GO BACK TO WORK FOR SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!

But to backtrack a little, the things that inspired me:

My Brother's interest in speakers & electronics & a Musical Household.
The Beatles.
The first time I heard Klipsch "KornerHorns" with a Pair of Phase 700 amps, playing "Dark Side of the Moon"--- That was the magic moment, when I decided that instead of going into art -(commercial art), I'd stick with playing around and selling stereo stuff!
Realizing I could get by selling and installing "Music Systems" and later the whole Video thing.
Later, realizing I don't know anything else!

If you like it, do it, and, if you stick with it - things will work out for you - (usually), the only danger is doing something you love for a business can turn it into a business, and the passion for it can go away... But what the hell, huh?!!?

Whatever keeps you in shelter, gas in the car, beer (non alcoholic now, for me) and Pizza)!!!

Last edited by Mr. Stanley on March 7, 2008 18:05.
"If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger."
Frank Lloyd Wright

Hosting Services by ipHouse