The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Thursday March 6, 2008 at 18:22
phil
Founding Member
December 2001
When I was 15 I got a Panasonic stereo with Acoustic Suspension speakers. After picking up a pair of weird cylindrical speakers with bamboo grilles for $5 at a rummage sale I put them out on the enclosed porch off my bedroom. Using phone wires (22/2, uncased) I pushed the wires down into the space between the baseboard and the plaster wall and then caulked the top of the baseboard. This was 1971 and there was nothing like volume controls so I wired them in parallel with the Panasonic speakers.

I took apart my clock radio and figured out that the radio alarm just switched ac power to the radio section so I added an ac outlet and set it up so Black Sabbath's Ironman LP played at full volume at 6:30AM. The bedroom speakers were hung on the common wall with my parents room. I was able to do this only once.

Got a job sweeping up and testing tubes at the local TV shop, learned to repair them and then VCRs and camcorders eventually became service manager. The company grew with the VCR boom, got into custom in the mid 80s and failed like so many when BB got going. I was able to buy the remains of the company in 1993 and continued as a service co. In the mid 90's I started doing custom theaters and Pronto programming. In 2001 sold the co to rid myself of 3 partners who only wanted to fix stuff and wanted nothing to do with sales. Attended Cedia training for installer and designer in 2002(Yah, I know) and started the current co. working out of my home.
"Regarding surround sound, I know musicians too well to want them behind my back."
-Walter Becker

Hosting Services by ipHouse