Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Sunday April 6, 2008 at 16:07
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
? ? ?

The socket (chassis) end of the Denon two-wire power cords have two openings in them. The spot in the middle where the third prong, the ground, would insert has no opening. This is done on purpose so that you can't put a two-prong cord onto a device needing a ground, because that third prong on the chassis will hit the plastic and keep the cord from seating.

You can, though, put a three-wire cord onto a Denon, and it doesn't matter that you can. Since the Denon has no ground prong in the middle, the ground socket of the cord doesn't connect to anything, and you still have a two-wire connection.

Hence the question marks: the hum problem that VSound solved could not have been caused by a three-prong cord on a Denon, because there's no ground prong on the Denon to connect to it...unless there was, in which case it should have used a three-wire cord all the time and a two-wire cord was illegally used at first.

I would stick with the same wire gauge. This thread is finally inspiring me to collect the miscellaneous sources I've found of interesting power cords, and by the end of this coming week I should be able to offer a replacement power cord to you.

I have wondered at the idiocy of plasma adverts showing them hanging on the wall with no wires at all. On top of that, you open the carton and find what appears to be a 14 gauge eight foot power cord. The client wants the plasma as close to the wall as possible and I've got eight feet of garden hose to hide. Right. Based on EVERY plasma ad ever made, the cords should be three feet or less. There's also no reason for the length of a Denon cord. Again, I would not get a smaller wire gauge.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse