The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Sunday July 13, 2008 at 23:40
ejfiii
Select Member
July 2003
Of course the info here is good, but not complete.

Programming the keypad presses is the easy part and can be learned in class, from manuals and even tech support calls. Knowing what each each keypad press *SHOULD* do is the hard part. And the hard part only comes with age, experience and maybe 10% traditional learning methods.

There are few good lighting design books that you could find at the CEDIA bookstore. There is one class at Denver that covers what to actually program on the keypads - Robert Ridenour teaches it. Its pretty good if you are new to central light system programming.

In my opinion the only way to learn this art is to do it. Everyone has a different philosophy - including different people at the manufacturers. Crestron has a few powerpoints flying around that cover different keypads and how they should be used and programmed - maybe Lutron has the same things? It took me a while before I found the right person at Crestron to get those docs.

My biggest complaint to both Crestron and Lutron - and I know all the higher ups at both places - is that they do a great job of teaching how to install, setup, design and get a lighting system working. But they do nothing to help you actually program the system.

Good luck and let me just close by saying you are going to be programming someones lights in their homes. It will be the most used system your company installs in the home by a factor of 100 or 1000. Please don't sell those clients short by learning in their homes and giving them a less than stellar lighting system experience. These systems are VERY hard to sell for most people - usually because potential rich clients have friends with keypad only systems that are never programmed right and thus your potential client wants nothing to do with the same thing. My advice, worth what you paid for it: don't replace switches with keypads and assign each load to a button. Give them scenes that accentuate their lifestyle, paths that make it easy to move around the home and automate as much as possible - ie they should never have to touch a button for any outdoor lights. That is enough to just barely scratch the surface.

Again, good luck, you're going to need it.

Hosting Services by ipHouse