The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Monday July 28, 2008 at 12:03
Dave E
Long Time Member
September 2005
FRR is correct. When electronics is damaged by lightning, I like to replace the equipment not try to repair it. I have been told by manufacturers and I tell insurance adjusters that lightning can have three effects on electrical components. First is catastrophic failure, arch marks, components blown off the board or melted. Second is component failure. Everything looks OK but it doesn’t work. Third ,and most insidious, is component degradation. Instead of having a ten year life, some components have a three month life, some five some a year or eighteen months, etc. You fix what is bad and a few months later something else goes bad and you enter an endless loop of repair/failure. Some manufacturers have told me that lightning damage is either BER or BRR, beyond economical repair or beyond reliable repair.

If you were using Panamax surge suppressors and they were properly installed, Panamax may pay to have the unit repaired or replaced. Whole house suppressors are nice but a nearby lightning strike is like a giant radio transmitter and it induces high voltage directly into the hundreds of feet of 110 volt wiring in the walls of your home. Installing a surge suppressor at the wall outlet of each device stops that induced spike from getting into the devices. Plus the fact that 60 percent of the surges come from within the building. Every time your refrigerator shuts off it causes a spike of 1,000 volts or more. Motors in washers, dryers, fans, HVAC as well as coils in fluorescent lights all produce spikes when they are turned off. The damage from these spikes is cumulative over time. If you take a hammer and tap a piece of drywall, not much happens. Tap it 1,000 times and you can see the cumulative damage.

My free advice comes with a money back guarantee!
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Any wire cut to length will be too short.
I must be a near GENIUS. All my teachers told me I was at the very PEAK of the bell curve!

Hosting Services by ipHouse